Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Unilever Love

While doing some late night grocery shopping, something small and blue caught my eye on the label of my Skippy peanut butter. It was the new Unilever logo, which is an array of floral-ish elements arranged together to form a blue letter "U". While looking closer, I could also see a dove, a fish and a bumble bee. I've seen many new, well-done logos taking this ornamental route, but this one has to be my favorite. The identity, designed by Wolff Olins, is made up of 25 different icons and adds a fresh and friendly mark. You can also check it out on the Ben and Jerry's and Lipton Iced Tea packaging.

The logo reminded me of Dutch type designer, Lucas de Groot, and his typestyle Nebulae. Each letter in the Nebulae family is intricately comprised of squiggles, dots and leaf-like elements. Lucas also designed the massively popular typestyle, Thesis.


letter "U" from NebulaeFour typestyle

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good thing you buy skippy and not peter pan....yikes